Director Ice-T’s Critically-Lauded Documentary “Something From Nothing: The Art Of Rap” Now Available To Pre-Order On iTunes
September 5, 2012 Leave a comment
Director Ice-T’s Critically-lauded Documentary “Something From Nothing: The Art of Rap” Now Available To Pre-order on iTunes
Exclusive to iTunes Extras – Public Enemy’s Chuck D Outtake
BEVERLY HILLS, Ca. (September 5, 2012) – Following successful theatrical runs in the US and UK, Ice-T’s widely praised feature documentary, “Something From Nothing: The Art of Rap,” is now available to pre-order on iTunes (www.itunes.com/ArtOfRap). The iTunes version of the film will be available for download on September 18 and includes an exclusive outtake featuring Public Enemy’s Chuck D.
An engrossing performance documentary about the runaway juggernaut that is hip-hop, “Something From Nothing: The Art of Rap” features some of the genre’s biggest talents, including Chuck D, Grandmaster Caz, Eminem, Snoop Dogg, Melle Mel, Q-Tip, Redman, Mos Def, Afrika Bambaataa, B Real, Immortal Technique, Ice Cube, MC Lyte, Nas, Dr. Dre, KRS One, Common and Kanye West.
Since its premier at the 2012 Sundance Film Festival, the film has won raves from hip-hop specialists and more mainstream media alike. Allhiphop.com’s Tim Sanchez wrote, “Ice-T has produced one of the finest and most detailed film documentaries about Hip-Hop in existence…a source of inspiration and education for all Hip-Hop fans young and old.” Time Out London’s Tom Huddleston wrote, “On the big screen, the sheer force and energy of these poets is extraordinary… These guys are legends for a reason.”
Available September 18 on iTunes and other digital platforms, on DVD at Wal-Mart, Best Buy and Amazon.com, and via Video on Demand. The DVD boasts a number of extras, including outtakes featuring Dr. Dre, Kanye West, KRS-One, and Q-Tip.
“Rap is an American art form and it needs respect,” Ice-T said in a recent interview with Hip-Hop Weekly. “I wanted to do a film that makes people totally understand how great it is to me. Rap saved my life. So I called my friends up and asked if they’d be in my movie: ‘I’m not gonna ask you about the money, the cars, the jewelry, the beef. I just wanna ask you about the craft.’ It was a labor of love.”
* Director: Ice-T* Co-Director: Andy Baybutt* Language: English* Genre: Documentary* Run-time: [111 Minutes]* Studio: Indomina Releasing* Rating: R
Digital Release With iTunes Extras Bonus Features:
* Chuck D Outtake (iTunes exclusive)* Dr. Dre Outtake * Kanye West Outtake* KRS-One Outtake * Q-Tip Outtake
* Download “Something From Nothing: The Art of Rap” on iTunes at www.itunes.com/ArtOfRap
DVD Bonus Features:
* Commentaries by Ice-T and producer Paul Toogood* Outtakes featuring Dr. Dre, Eminem, Ice Cube, Kanye West, KRS-One, Busy Bee, Craig G., Jim Jones, Too Short, Diabolic, CNN, Trigga Da Gambler and Smoothe Da Hustler, Just-Ice, Freddie Foxx, Tash of Tha Alkaholiks and KingTee* “The Making Of Something From Nothing: The Art of Rap, A Historical Perspective”, with Dr. Gaye Theresa Johnson, Assistant Professor, Black Studies Department, University of California, Santa Barbara. * QR Code inside packaging unlocks additional bonus features online
Xbox extra features: • B-Real Outtake
Download “Something From Nothing: The Art of Rap” on iTunes at www.itunes.com/ArtOfRap
The Indomina Group is a vertically integrated independent studio launched in 2008 by Vice Chairman and CEO Jasbinder Singh Mann. Operating in Los Angeles and the Dominican Republic, Indomina takes a transmedia approach to collaborating with content creators around the world to bring innovative entertainment properties to the market. The company’s global operations include the production and distribution of motion pictures, television, music, interactive games, and the ownership of world-class studio facilities and production services.
ABOUT GAIAM VIVENDI ENTERTAINMENT
Gaiam Vivendi Entertainment, a leading producer, distributor and marketer of entertainment and lifestyle media, is a [subsidiary] of Gaiam, Inc. (Nasdaq: GAIA). With a diversified distribution network that spans more than 60,000 retail doors as well as an extensive digital platform, Gaiam Vivendi Entertainment dominates the health and fitness category and ranks among the top three providers of non-theatrical programming. With content focused on film, fitness, sports and family programming, Gaiam Vivendi Entertainment provides sales, marketing and distribution services to many of the home entertainment industry’s most prestigious brands, including Discovery Communications, Jillian Michaels, NFL Films, National Geographic, Marvel Animation, Shout Factory, Televisa, and World Wrestling Entertainment.
- The Art Of Rap DVD (theindustrycosign.wordpress.com)
- Something from Nothing: The Art of Rap – review (guardian.co.uk)
- Ice-t – Ice-t Launches The Art Of Rap In London (contactmusic.com)
- Something From Nothing: The Art of Rap (manchesterlab.com)
- Video: “The Art of Rap” Outtake – Kanye West (theendisdeep.com)